Reporting to the Director of the Law Division, the Consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals for the science-policy panel in alignment with paragraph 5 of UNEA resolution 5/8.
- Develop suggestions regarding the structure and governance of the science-policy panel, taking into consideration existing intergovernmental scientific panels.
- Outline ideas on how the science-policy panel can collaborate with other science-policy bodies.
- Provide recommendations on how the Law Division can effectively support UNEP’s science-policy work, including future endeavors of the science-policy panel.
- Facilitate communication between the OEWG, the Law Division, and other relevant entities to ensure cohesive and coordinated efforts.
- Travel to UNEP Nairobi to engage with the UNEP Law Division and the Secretariat of the OEWG/SPP, as well as other UNEP divisions.
- Attend OEWG meetings to offer expert assistance and aid in the formulation and preparation of documentation, including in-session materials during the meetings.
- An advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in international law, environmental policy, environmental science, or a related field is required. Alternatively, a first-level degree (bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields, along with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience, may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in environmental governance, environmental policy, environmental sciences, or a related field is required.
- International experience, particularly with United Nations organizations or international science-policy bodies, is preferred.
- Experience in handling legal matters related to the administration of international organizations is advantageous.
- Familiarity with the governance of chemicals, waste, and pollution is a plus.
- Strong research and drafting skills are desirable.
- Exceptional organizational and consultation management abilities are beneficial.
- Direct experience in environmental law or environmental policy is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential.
Closing Date: September 12, 2023
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.