The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for the year 2024-2025 will accept admission applications from all international students starting on August 1, 2023. The deadline to submit the Swiss Excellence Scholarship application is December 1, 2023. This presents an excellent opportunity for students to study in Switzerland without any tuition fees.
The Swiss Excellence Scholarship 2024 offers the following benefits to all international students:
- Sponsored Research Fund
- Free Airfare Tickets
- Monthly Stipend (CHF 1,920)
- Free Accommodation (CHF 300 housing allowance)
- Paid Health Insurance
- Full Tuition Fees Waiver
- Housing Allowance Disbursements
Types of Swiss Excellence Scholarships 2024
- Art Scholarships: These are available to art students aiming to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Scholarships are granted for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. However, they are limited to students from specific countries.
- Research Scholarships: These are open to post-graduate researchers from any discipline, holding at least a master’s degree, who plan to conduct research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level in Switzerland. Research scholarships are provided for research or study at Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor from one of these institutions will be considered.
Swiss Government Scholarship Selection Criteria
The FCS (Federal Commission for Scholarships) evaluates Swiss Excellence scholarship applications based on three main criteria:
a) Candidate’s profile
b) Quality of the research project or artistic work
c) Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
Eligibility Criteria for Swiss Excellence Scholarships
To be eligible for the Swiss Excellence Scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants who have already spent more than one year in Switzerland at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible.
- Applicants must submit a letter from an academic host professor (including their short CV) at the chosen Swiss university, confirming why they are willing to supervise and support the research. Applications without such support will be rejected.
- Applicants must provide a research proposal along with a timeframe, which is a crucial part of the application.
- The applicant must give proper attention to their research proposal.
- Applicants must have the necessary language skills required for their research/studies.
- Those who have previously received a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to move to Switzerland during the granted period.
Required Documents for Swiss Excellence Scholarship Application:
To apply for the Swiss Excellence Scholarship, please make sure to prepare the following documents:
- A signed FCS application form (typed and printed) with photos.
- A comprehensive CV, including a list of academic publications, awards, etc.
- A motivation letter (maximum 2 pages) explaining your reasons for applying.
- A detailed research proposal (maximum 5 pages, signed), using only the FCS research proposal form.
- A copy of the letter from an academic host professor (including their short CV) at the chosen Swiss university, confirming their willingness to supervise and support your research.
- A short CV of the academic mentor at your home institution.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from two different professors in your field (use only the FCS reference form – originals in sealed envelopes for the first set, no copies for the second set).
- Photocopies of certificates and grade sheets from previously attended universities/colleges, and diplomas with grades, starting with the most recent. If these documents are not in English, French, Italian, or German, please provide attested certified translations in English. Do not submit the original certificates.
- A signed medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form).
- Two copies of your passport’s main page with personal data. Dual nationals should include copies of both passports. If you are already in Switzerland during the application procedure, add a copy of the residence permit for Switzerland.