Overall Purpose of the Job
The overall objective of this position is to provide technical support to “Crop damage and yield losses due to insect pests under changes in climatic conditions” project by carrying out a variety of semi-field and laboratorybased investigations using insects pests, natural enemies, host plants for measuring and modelling crop yield losses due to insect pests under a warming climate as part of a scientific team.
The successful candidate will undertake the following activities:
- Conduct experiments on temperature and CO2-dependent potential of insect pest to damage the host plant into phytotron and greenhouse.
- Assist in building a crop-insect pest-natural enemy system dynamics model for pest damage yield losses.
- Assist in plants production and insect mass rearing.
- Data collection and entry.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Diploma in general agriculture or related fields. A BSc in statistic or in applied Bioengineering will be an added advantage.
- At least 1 year of experience in a relevant area.
- Experience in insects’ manipulation and rearing.
- Previous experience at an agricultural training center is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of phytotron machine functions.
- Good knowledge of insect rearing in general.
Other Desirable Attributes
- The candidate should be self-driven with a problem-solving personality.
- Ability to work under pressure and even during off hours, weekends, and holidays if necessary.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal/human relation skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate simple and complex laboratory equipment.
- Ability to organise one’s work to respect deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Will train interns on the laboratory skills and safety.
- Expected to handle minimal imprest.
- Compile reports and manuscripts papers.
- This position reports to the Postdoctoral Fellow, Data Management, Modelling and Geo-Information Unit.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.icipe.org.