The International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Job Responsibilities: The incumbent will be responsible for the following core functions:
- Generate spatial analysis, maps, and related information products using regional mixed migration data to support the activities of the Regional Data Hub. This includes providing assistance to the EU-IOM Joint Initiatives project and the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM).
- Assist the Regional Data Hub in designing, developing, and maintaining a relevant spatial data infrastructure to effectively manage spatial data in the Region.
- Collaborate with country missions and the global DTM GIS team to ensure the accuracy, currency, and compatibility of the IOM geo-database at the regional level.
- Aid in harmonizing spatial data used across the region by providing standard geographic data, infographics, and cartographic features to support country missions.
- Ensure data collection adheres to standards by providing necessary geographic data, such as administrative units and locations.
- Identify needs and offer advice on GIS/mapping tools and products.
- Foster engagement and communication with IM/GIS focal points in-country missions to promote coordination and knowledge sharing.
- Provide technical support and input into ongoing information management initiatives and partnerships in the Country Offices and the Regional Data Hub.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience: Education:
- A university degree in geographic information systems, geography, computer science, or a related discipline with a minimum of three years of experience in the GIS field; or,
- A diploma in geographic information systems, geography, computer science, or other relevant disciplines with a minimum of five years of experience in the GIS field.
- Profound knowledge of spatial data management, cartographic design, and spatial data visualization and analysis.
- Preferably, experience in GIS/IM within the context of humanitarian response.
- Proficiency in MS Office, ArcGIS, and one or more designing software.
- Advantageous to have skills in Python, MS SQL Server, and other MS programming tools.
- Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Hardworking, good team player, dedicated, with the ability to monitor and follow up on pending matters.
- Capable of meeting deadlines and working under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
- Working knowledge of French or any other UN Official language is advantageous.
Required Competencies: The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences, encouraging diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards, acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules, and upholds standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner, exercising careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, making people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioral Indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com