Job Purpose: Financial and Administrative Officer
The primary aim of this role is to provide essential financial management support to our programs. This involves implementing HelpAge International’s financial controls, policies, and procedures. The Financial and Administrative Officer will oversee project and program budgets, analyze expenditures, accurately record authorized transactions, and provide timely reports to both management and donors. Additionally, this role will be responsible for office administration and managing all procurement activities in accordance with HelpAge’s policies and procedures.
Routine Financial Accounting Processes:
- Establish and maintain effective financial management procedures and systems, ensuring compliance with HelpAge International and donor requirements.
- Provide monthly financial accounts as per organizational requirements and timelines.
- Prepare precise monthly cash flow forecasts and cash transfer requests to HelpAge HQ for operational continuity.
- Process payments to suppliers and contractors in line with agreed-upon terms.
- Accurately record income from HelpAge Country Office and other funding sources.
- Ensure timely and accurate recording and accounting of all cash advances.
- Manage the petty cash float, conducting weekly and monthly reconciliations.
- Maintain a comprehensive filing and retrieval system for financial and administrative transactions.
- Coordinate with the local bank for all financial transactions and supervise designated staff in performing routine banking tasks.
- Prepare financial reports for donors and submit them to the Finance Business Partner for review.
- Review donor expenditure verification reports and ensure prompt implementation of recommendations and changes.
- Ensure compliance with Kenya’s statutory financial obligations, including tax and statutory returns.
- Provide training to HelpAge Network Members and program staff to enhance their financial management skills.
- Share monthly management accounts (MANAC) with the Country Director for review and necessary action.
- Flag financial issues requiring immediate attention/action to the Program Manager.
- Ensure effective budgetary control in close collaboration with responsible officers.
- Review activity fund requests against budgets and approve them, ensuring they align with the respective activity’s budget balance.
- Support the Programs Manager in creating budgets for proposal development.
- Verify budgets before approving payment requests.
- Ensure understanding and implementation of procurement policies, Value for Money, and Anti-bribery policies, while avoiding potential conflicts of interest.
- Maintain efficient asset and materials control systems, including a fixed asset register and stores ledger.
- Conduct regular inventories, including year-end audits.
External Audit Preparation:
- Review all financial documents for donors to ensure compliance, including proper authorization and supporting documentation.
- Handle year-end processes for smooth financial year closure.
- Respond to audit observations promptly and implement audit recommendations.
- Draft financial statements and schedules for statutory audits.
- Coordinate with internal and external auditors to facilitate audits and address financial compliance issues.
Grants and Contracts Management:
- Visit partners periodically to review their financial and administrative policies and procedures.
- Receive and review supporting documentation from partners.
- Prepare and submit interim and final donor financial reports for review in a timely manner.
- Circulate monthly monitoring reports on expenses vs. budget to Program managers.
- Adjust monthly and interim donor reports based on feedback from program managers.
- Discuss project performance with Project managers on a monthly basis.
- Review monthly donor reports with relevant managers and identify areas of financial risk.
- Support Network members in capacity development in Finance and Administration.
- Participate in grants kick-off meetings and assist in proposal budget development in collaboration with the program and MEAL team.
- Coordinate monthly staff meetings and send minutes to the County Director.
- Maintain a well-organized office environment.
- Ensure office cleanliness and proper arrangement of furniture.
- Coordinate office supplies and maintenance of office accessories.
- Conduct quarterly physical stock-taking to ensure timely distribution of items in the store.
- Comply with all safeguarding framework policies and practices.
- Report and respond to safeguarding incidents through internal reporting mechanisms.
- Support staff in implementing safeguarding measures.
- Be a part of the senior management team and participate in risk management.
- Liaise with the Finance Business Partner and seek advice and consultation as needed.
- Perform other duties as required by the Country Director and Finance Business Partner.
- Alignment with HelpAge’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- High level of integrity in financial management.
- University degree in Accounting or Finance.
- ACCA / CPA (K) qualification, registered with ICPAK.
- Comprehensive experience in all aspects of accounting and financial management, including knowledge of international and local financial reporting standards.
- Minimum of four years of financial management experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint) and familiarity with financial and accounting information systems.
- Leadership, mentoring, management, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Understanding of audit principles and procedures.
- Risk management mindset, including the ability to recommend effective internal controls and mitigation actions.
- Strong analytical and project management skills.
- Excellent relationship and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Authorization to work in Kenya without sponsorship.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com before the closing date.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org