Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
- The purpose of this position is to support and assist the maize line development breeders and researchers in managing maize nurseries and related activities at the CIMMYT-managed research station in Kiboko.
- By effectively managing these responsibilities, the Field Technician contributes to the success of CIMMYT’s efforts to develop multiple stress tolerant, improved maize germplasm for the benefit of farmers in Eastern Africa and beyond.
Duties and responsibilities
- Management of Maize Nurseries Implement appropriate agronomic practices, including fertilizer application, irrigation, weed control, and pest control, following prescribed guidelines. Coordinate with the Research Station Manager to ensure timely preparation of land for timely nursery plantings, adhering to the experimental design and breeder’s instructions.
- Ensure timely and appropriate pollination of different nurseries based on breeders’ instructions.
- Document input receipts and monitor input usage.
- Prepare requests for inputs in advance to ensure smooth operations and planning.
- Data Collection Collect accurate and relevant data from nurseries using electronic gadgets for data collection and upload to breeding management software.
- Seed Processing and Shipment Ensure seeds are packed according to breeder instructions to facilitate timely planting.
- Oversee the harvesting and processing of seeds at the right time for various trials and nurseries.
- Store the processed seeds in a cold room to maintain quality.
- Supervise seed packing and coordinate the shipment of field trials to various testing locations within the country and the region, ensuring timely planting.
- Requirements Diploma or B.Sc. degree in Crop Science or related field A Kenyan national with a valid driver’s license Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing field research trials for a crop research program.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Diploma or B.Sc. degree in Crop Science or related field
- A Kenyan national with a valid driver’s license
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing field research trials for a crop research program.
To apply for this job please visit www.cifor.org.