This role offers an exciting opportunity for a digital communications specialist to play a central role in Saferworld’s communication team, supporting other teams in their communication efforts, and driving digital innovation in Saferworld’s peacebuilding programs. The Digital Communications Manager will be a digital expert tasked with elevating Saferworld’s digital communication to the next level.
Strategy and Development
- Develop strategies, tools, and applications to enhance supporter conversion, engagement, and retention based on a deep understanding of our audience.
- Stay updated on digital advancements, including innovations in peacebuilding practice, and identify new digital opportunities, serving as a digital advocate for the organization.
- Create and execute a digital engagement strategy, including search engine optimization for all online content.
- Collaborate with the Head of Communications to develop, implement, and evaluate Saferworld’s communication strategy.
- Ensure consistent organizational messaging across all communication materials, following Saferworld’s editorial and brand guidelines.
- Coordinate with Saferworld’s security, IT, and operations teams on digital security.
Content Development, Production, and Promotion
- Oversee the development of the digital content strategy, digital engagement, and upcoming content plan, ensuring a coherent schedule.
- Plan and create compelling web content that effectively conveys our mission to target audiences and aligns with our communication objectives.
- Collaborate with third-party organizations and bloggers to promote Saferworld.
- Provide online copy and live tweeting support for offline events.
- Design content optimized for conversion and search engine optimization.
- Manage the production and distribution of Saferworld’s monthly e-newsletter and other email updates, exploring new formats.
- Continuously monitor data and digital performance, sharing findings with communication, leadership, and other teams to create resonant content.
- Ensure Saferworld’s website offers reliable, informative, and up-to-date online content, working with internal contributors to uphold our standards and expertise.
- Regularly update and maintain fixed website pages.
- Manage and develop Saferworld’s websites in English, Somali, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian.
- Collaborate with IT developers and third-party providers on technical issues or development.
- Oversee Saferworld’s Google AdWords account.
- Ensure online content adheres to corporate identity and meets all legal requirements, with a focus on accessibility across various devices.
- Manage Saferworld’s accounts on major social media platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
- Consider country- and issue-specific sensitivities in all social media communication.
- Stay updated on social media trends and developments, integrating them into Saferworld’s social media strategy.
- Keep the Head of Communications informed of significant issues that could impact the organization’s well-being, involving regional heads and the executive team as needed.
- Support country programs in analyzing social media usage patterns and monitoring social media traffic to identify and track conflict and security dynamics. Assist in utilizing social media and digital communication technologies for program objectives when appropriate.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Monitor, evaluate, and communicate statistics and results from digital efforts, including the performance of digital channels using tools like Google Analytics and Sprout Social.
- Offer improvement suggestions for digital content based on monitoring and evaluation.
- Evaluate and communicate statistics and results of digital content within Saferworld.
- Provide digital skills training to other team members and conduct sessions within the communications learning group as needed. This includes training on using digital platforms for programmatic functions, data collection, analysis, and visualization.
- Train other Saferworld teams on broader communications and digital content creation.
Key Working Relationships
- Collaborate with colleagues in the communications team, policy, advocacy, research, and program teams to support content creation and dissemination.
- Work closely with program teams to integrate digital innovations into their activities and serve as a communications point person for specific program teams.
- Maintain and develop relationships with web developers, social media account systems, Google AdWords, and other digital stakeholders.
Scope and Accountability
Decision Making and Limits of Authority
- Assist in making strategic decisions, with guidance from the Head of Communications.
- Work with the Head of Communications to manage the digital and related services budget.
- Coordinate, plan, and lead digital activities in the organization.
- Responsible for the quality, accuracy, and maintenance of the website, social media, databases, and systems.
- Manage Google AdWords, including budgeting and paid social media.
- Coach and mentor staff, including other members of the communications team and program communications leads, in digital communication.
- Ensure compliance with Google AdWords and digital GDPR regulations.
Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience
- Experience in a digital communications or digital marketing role.
- Experience in developing digital engagement strategies.
- Experience in content creation for social media and websites, including newsletters.
- Proficiency in managing social media accounts and analytics reporting.
- Strong knowledge of digital metrics, including Google Analytics 4 and Sprout Social.
- Experience managing a website content management system.
- Experience in communications work within a multilingual environment.
- Desirable: Experience in line managing staff, knowledge of applying digital communications technologies to address social problems, and knowledge of international relations, peace and conflict, human rights, gender, humanitarian aid, or development.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse individuals and cultures.
- Proactive and problem-solving approach.
- Project management skills.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of a second language is desirable.
- Self-motivated and flexible.
- Willingness to take ownership of projects and seek self-improvement.
- Adaptability to changing organizational needs.
- Commitment to Saferworld’s safeguarding principles and values.
- Commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Commitment to personal and professional development.
- Commitment to enhancing internal and external communications and fostering collaboration.
- Availability to work outside regular hours during critical incidents or emergencies.
- Ability to travel internationally (up to four weeks per year).
Method of Application
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter addressing the person specification and explaining why your experience aligns with the role’s requirements to email@example.com with job reference (DC0M-23). Application deadline: October 2, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org