The Associate Interpreter/ Translator will be responsible for the following main duties and functions:
- Assists in providing accurate translation and simultaneous interpretation, as required, from English to Arabic and vice versa, while integrating a gender perspective, especially in relation to age and gender sensitive use of language and documentation of sexual and gender-based violence;
- Participate in field missions and interprets interviews of victims, witnesses and sources;
- Assists in the production of accurate and verbatim translation of written and oral witness statements, media articles and other documents from English to Arabic and vice versa as required;
- Maintains strict security and confidentiality of information;
- Performs any other tasks as necessary.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the Internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- An advanced university degree in translation, interpretation, languages, or a related field. A first level university degree in the mentioned fields of study in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience is accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience in translation and/or interpretation, including as part of academic research work, is required.
- One year of work experience in these fields within the United Nations Common Systems or regional organizations is desirable.
- Experience in providing translation or interpretation to human rights investigations or on human rights-related subjects is desirable.
- Relevant working experience in/on the region is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.