International Potato Center
About the Research Associate Role
The Research Associate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Plant Breeding Statistics Expert. The selected candidate will provide support through expertise in experimental design and data analysis to achieve the common goal of improving potato and sweet potato varieties on farmers’ fields in Africa and worldwide. They will be a member of our data management and biometrics unit, contributing to global breeding and research activities, capacity building, and scientific publications.
- Assist CIP and NARS plant breeders in implementing state-of-the-art experimental designs and data analysis methods.
- Collaborate with the GI Breeding Analytics team within the CIP data management and biometrics unit to modernize data management and statistical practices.
- Implement quality control and data curation measures for breeding data and phenotyping trials to ensure data accuracy and reliability.
- Play a pivotal role in optimizing breeding data workflows focused on BreedBase to ensure high-quality data ready for analysis.
- Contribute to the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for data management and statistical methodologies relevant to potato and sweetpotato breeding programs.
- Participate in publications and documentation related to statistical methods applied in data-driven decisions for breeding activities.
- Master’s degree in statistics, biometrics, mathematics, quantitative genetics, or breeding.
- At least 6 years of experience in experimental design for breeding trials and phenotypic data analysis using linear mixed models.
- Proficiency in statistical software R, particularly in data manipulation, experimental design generation, and mixed models. Knowledge of the ASReml-R package is a plus.
- Familiarity with genomic selection modeling is advantageous.
- Previous experience as a biometrician supporting a breeding program is a plus.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to manage multiple work activities effectively.
Method of Application
Submit your cover letter and a complete CV with your references. Screening of applications will commence on October 10th, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenyan nationals and permanent residents only.
To apply for this job please visit cgiar.zohorecruit.com.