Danish Refugee Council
Overall purpose of the role:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting for multiple project manager positions for anticipated upcoming projects – one based in Kakuma, and one based in Dadaab. DRC will be the lead agency of consortia including both international and local organizations, and the PM should have experience in coordinating multi-partner consortia and working with local organizations. The post-holder will provide leadership and day to day management, technical support and oversight of upcoming projects focused on self-reliance and socio-economic integration of host communities and refugees. The Project Manager will be responsible for coordinating the project across the consortium members and overseeing the day-to-day implementation of the DRC team to meet project goals. The PM will act as the main point of contact for the respective donors in consultation with the Head of Programmes (HoP) and directly supervise project staff in coordination with the DRC Area Manager including being responsible for managing the expectations of and relationships between all project partners, target population and stakeholders. The PM will preferably have experience in self-reliance programming in refugee contexts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
R1: Project Management, Development, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure the project is implemented in ways responsive to the beneficiary communities, donor compliance procedures and vision/mission of each of the partner organizations. This includes working closely with consortium members, national/local government, relevant stakeholders and community structures to successfully implement and strengthen local capacity.
- Ensure that the project has appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems established (including impact evaluation), and that the project reporting is delivered
- Ensure project activities are delivered according to the agreed project proposal and implementation plan, and that all activities and deliverables are completed within the agreed timeframe and budget, reports are submitted as per the agreed schedule and formats are fulfilled as specified in signed agreements.
- Ensure work plans are regularly updated in collaboration with the project team, ensure project plans and project tracking tools are used by the project team, and monitor project activity implementation.
- Ensure community participatory planning and targeting in line with project design and needs, and following donor compliance procedures.
- Provide on-site support through frequent visits to all project sites.
- Engage with the various technical staff from DRC and partners to facilitate support to the team.
- Serves as the primary contact with respect to project implementation for the donor and strategic stakeholders.
R2: Technical Expertise
- Provide technical assistance to implementing teams in areas of self-reliance and financial inclusion, working alongside project partners, Regional Office technical coordinators and DRC Kenya colleagues
- Provide support to MEAL teams in contextualizing tools, including the self-reliance index
- Work with the Market Systems Development Manager to develop context-specific MSD approaches
R3: Training & Capacity development
- Identify training needs of team and explore options for meeting them.
- Provide continuous technical support and mentorship for all project staff and partners in the project in order to develop their professional and technical competencies.
- Ensure that minimum standards for project management and accountability are met.
R4: Coordination & Partnership
- Coordinate the day-to-day implementation of the project and ensure effective integration among the consortium members, with special attention for the specific needs and expectations of the project objectives/aims.
- Along with the Partnership Coordinator and Support Team, support capacity development of partners – and ensure that appropriate oversight mechanisms are in place based on due diligence
- Ensure proper communication mechanisms are in place to guarantee effective and timely communication between project staff and the consortium members and management.
- Participate in regular external stakeholder meetings, and maintain external relations with the relevant government agencies, and stakeholders across the project areas.
- Ensure there is a system for networking and communication with relevant local government line departments, DRS (Department of Refugee Services), UNHCR, relevant actors, and community representation in the project areas.
- Promote collaboration and synergy between the consortium member project activities and similar projects, businesses and activities in the project areas.
- Promote a positive profile of the project and good understanding among other actors and communities about the project.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Represent the project at interagency coordination meetings as well as other key stakeholder forums related to the sector.
R5: Budget Management
- The post holder will oversee the project budget responsible for budget monitoring, cash forecasting and BFU reviews while working closely with DRC and partners. Will oversee the project budget in order to maintain project expenditure within budget parameters, ensuring adherence to DRC financial procedures and donor requirements.
- Track budget spending and ensure timely reviews of financial transactions and budget utilization every month.
- Support team members to utilize financial planning tools, such as spending plans, procurement plans, and work-plans based on activities and budgets.
- Work closely with the respective Area Programme and the Country Office team in budget drafting and revision processes as per identified/prioritized needs of the project.
R6: Staff Management
- Directly lead, manage and motivate the project staff and partners. Ensure that they have clear objectives and receive regular supervision and reviews. Develop a plan, and oversee management, of all project staff.
- Ensure appropriate participation of staff in project management, day to day implementation and decision making, and escalating issues as per the consortium governance structure.
- Ensure project staff members attend and participate in weekly and monthly office management meetings as per schedule.
- Ensure timely recruitment and replacement if the need arises of highly competent project staffs.
- Monitor and provide objective feedback related to staff performance, including objective-setting, probation & performance evaluations to promote growth and development.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 5+ years of experience working in multi-donor-funded and/or multi-stakeholder projects or programmes managing self-reliance/MSD projects, preferably in refugee setting
- Experience in developing MSD programming
- Experienced and excellent demonstratable understanding of project cycle management.
- Able to navigate between consortium members, their workstyles, and their agenda’s.
- Experienced working with and implementing projects aimed at addressing challenges faced by displacement affected entrepreneurs to maintain and grow their businesses.
- Experience in capacity-building staff, and in convening and facilitating trainings and workshops
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills
- Has excellent communication (spoken and written) and presentation skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills coupled with conflict management skills
- Experience with remote management of staff
- Possess a sense of cultural awareness, sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Strong organizational, team spirit and team work skills
- Organised, punctual and delivers on time,
- Strong ability to motivate and inspire staff and partners,
- Excellent networking skills,
- Passionate about promoting a Kenya free of armed violence and conflict
- Intelligent and creative mind that will enable him/her to identify new and suitable solutions to local safety needs; Diplomatic, patient and persistent,
- Analytical and able to present logical arguments,
- Curious and seeks out information, strong drive to learn new things and improve own capacity,
- Takes initiative – identifies what needs to get done and does it,
- Hard working and driven to achieve objectives, Able to work under minimum supervision
- A good team player, culturally sensitive and able to resist external pressure
- Master’s in Development Economics; International Development, Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, or other relevant fields, or Bachelors with relevant work experience.
- English (fluent, spoken and written)
- Swahili (fluent, spoken and written
- Consortia partners
- DRC SMT and Area Managers
- Relevant County and national government line ministries
- UNHCR, DRS, relevant Government of Kenya departments
- Relevant Inter-agency working groups
- Project Donor
To apply for this job please visit job.drc.ngo.