Action Against Hunger International
Summary of the Position
The role will primarily involve providing the Regional Director, the HEARO board and country directors/Senior Management Teams with independent, objective assurance that the key risks facing the Country Offices are being identified; appropriately mitigated; that residual risks are accepted on the basis of well-reasoned decisions; that appropriate systems have been designed to control risks and that both mitigating and control systems are operating as intended. The role will also involve the provision of advice to the HEAR Regional Director and Country Directors/ Country Senior Management Team on the effectiveness of existing management, information, and administrative systems.
To design, implement, and monitor internal audit functions for ACF USA in compliance with approved policies, procedures and processes, donor requirements, and international accounting/ auditing standards. The role will provide assurance and assistance to management when developing action plans to address weaknesses identified.
Collaborates with key stakeholders to provide an independent evaluation of the Country offices and HEARO Office Operational, and Governance activities with an objective to effectively mitigate identified compliance risks and ensure policies, procedures, and processes are adhered to in all operations and governance activities of the ACF USA.
To execute internal audits, grants audits, special reviews, and investigations through overseeing the planning and scheduling of the work, preparation of the reports, identifying the risk areas, and making appropriate recommendations for improved governance, risk management, and internal control.
Essential Role duties
Implement Internal Audits, Grant Audits, special reviews and investigations, and ad hoc assignments as required, both at HEARO and across different countries within the region
- Primary responsibility for managing the day-to-day activities of the Internal Audit function in planning and performing financial, operational, and compliance audits.
- Research and assess the different countries’ governance, risk management, and internal control processes’ effectiveness and appropriateness to achieve the Organization’s objectives and report on areas of improvement using the internal audit report
- Assist Regional Director with planning Country Offices’ Internal audits, grants audits, special reviews, and investigations.
- Travels to Countries to conduct Internal Audits, grants audits, special reviews, and investigations.
- Draft audit findings that clearly describe the conditions, criteria, cause and effect, and recommendations to correct identified deficiencies. To work with various country management to develop action plans to address findings identified during Internal Audit, special reviews, and investigations.
- Share draft internal audit reports with country directors, the Regional Director, and the Audit and Risk Management Committee summarizing the work performed.
- Planning, monitoring, and quality review of assurance engagements on key systems, processes, policies, and controls carried out at the Country level.
- Carry out internal audit webinars for new staff as well as develop and review training material relating to Compliance, Anti-Fraud, bribery, and Corruption.
- Acts as a link with external auditors when needed.
- Leads with follow-up of fraud, bribery and corruption, misuse of resources allegations as well as conduct investigations of irregularities discovered by internal and external audit reviews
- To undertake non-audit work for management if required, e.g., a project, investigation or short assignment.
Development and review of the Internal Audit department’s plans, processes, and procedures.
- To ensure Internal Audit departmental processes and procedures are applied when carrying out assignments.
- Assist in continuously improving the Internal Audit function process through new/improved tools and techniques and staying abreast of changes in Global Internal Auditing standards.
- Play a critical role in the preparation and successful delivery of the Annual Audit Plan for HEARO for presentation to the HEARO Board and the Regional Director.
- To maintain adequate knowledge of technical developments in accounting, audit and corporate governance.
- Review of audit and compliance policies, procedures and processes.
- Ensure the development of the annual objectives of the Internal Audit function in the region are in line with the Annual Audit Plan and HEARO Strategic Pillars.
Establish working relationships with management.
- To ensure that audits are carried out with professionalism and an appropriate level of communication with the relevant management team before, during and after the audit.
- Maintains relationships with senior management to develop and maintain an understanding of organizational and country processes, their challenges and risks and improvement initiatives;
- To promote a clear understanding of the role of the Internal Audit function.
- Provide ad hoc advice and guidance to managers and staff at all levels, which can sometimes be done through delivering training sessions.
- Actively participates in Regional and other leadership meetings to provide strategic input on risk management
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, and children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, or religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions.
- Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the country offices if appropriate. Based on the country office needs, the time spent on field trips will be a minimum of 30% of his/her working time. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent. Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Related Field
- CPA/ACCA or CIA qualification is an added advantage
- Membership with relevant professional body.
- At least 7 years of professional work experience in auditing, accounting, or the equivalent with exposure to various aspects of finance. Experience working with US government, EU, UN and other multinational donors preferred.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues using well-developed discretion and judgment. Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information and communicate only appropriate information to individuals at the appropriate time.
- Exposure to dealing with senior management.
- Highly developed interpersonal, analytical and presentational skills
- Proven ability to use relevant Data Analytics and Audit Tools
- Strong knowledge of a variety of control environments.
- Ability to think strategically and at the highest conceptual levels
- Experience of following up on fraud allegations
- Strong interpersonal skills with sensitivity to different cultures and humanitarian principles
- The job holder must be willing to travel internationally for a minimum of 30% per year on two-to-three-week assignments
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com