Nawiri’s mission is to help local communities sustainably reduce acute malnutrition. To achieve this, Nawiri has been implementing livelihood interventions aimed at empowering vulnerable households to establish sustainable livelihoods. These interventions enable these households to access and consume a diverse range of food throughout the year, either through production or purchase. This contributes to increased consumption of nutritious and safe diets. Nawiri employs multisectoral approaches that involve continuous capacity building, support, and connections for targeted households. These households require ongoing guidance to adopt nutrition-sensitive, context-specific interventions related to livestock and crops.
- To enhance monitoring, connections, and capacity building for pastoralist and agro-pastoral groups, speeding up the adoption of climate-smart, nutrition-sensitive livestock and agricultural technologies.
- To equip young professionals with relevant skills and experience in crop and livestock-related fields, improving their employability and ability to deliver quality services to communities, county departments, the private sector, and other development agencies.
The Intern – Production (Livestock and Crop) will assist in implementing Nawiri program activities under the supervision of the Nawiri production team and the County Department of Agriculture, Livestock Production, and Veterinary Services. They will work closely with Nawiri production officers to support all livestock and agriculture activities at the sub-county level. Their responsibilities will include various agriculture and livestock-related tasks such as research, capacity building for local partners, and facilitating partnerships with the private sector. This engagement will also provide learning and development opportunities for the interns through on-the-job training and mentorship by project staff, partners, communities, and county government departments.
The intern will:
- Foster close coordination and cooperation with county departments of agriculture, livestock, and veterinary services, research institutions, sector working groups, and development agencies to ensure effective collaboration, with guidance from Production officers.
- Coordinate with Production officers (agriculture & livestock), Market Systems and Value Chain officers, and county teams to facilitate engagement with private sector partners that enhance farmers’ access to input and output markets.
- Collaborate with Production officers (agriculture & livestock) to integrate messaging in the rollout of crop and livestock production interventions.
- Work with public and private service providers (animal health, crop husbandry, etc.) to deliver livestock and crop services and products to Nawiri participants.
- Mentor, supervise, and follow up with Training of Trainers (TOT) in collaboration with government counterparts, Local Implementing Partners (LIPs), and partners.
- Facilitate livestock and agriculture producers in improving their knowledge and skills and adopting nutrition-sensitive and resilience-supporting practices.
- Monitor and measure outputs related to production interventions, ensuring that community feedback is monitored and addressed, and knowledge about production interventions is documented and shared at all levels.
- Compile activity reports and field visit reports using standard tools, including weekly progress reports.
- Participate in team meetings to contribute to learning and coordination.
- Perform any other activities assigned by the line manager.
- Strong relationship management skills with the ability to engage with people at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, results-oriented environment, multitasking across various workstreams and priorities.
- A team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open, capable of building relationships and influencing others’ opinions.
- Proficiency in English and Swahili.
Travel Requirement: 75% of the time within sub-counties in Isiolo.
Key Working Relationships
- Supervisory: None
- Supervision: Reports to Project Officer Production
- Internal: Nawiri production officer (agriculture & livestock), SPO livelihood, Nawiri Market Systems and Value Chain officer, Caritas Production officer, and Caritas Market Systems and Value Chain officer.
- External: Local implementing partners, government departments at different levels, and local communities.
Education and Experience
- Diploma in International Development, Agriculture/Livestock, or a related field. A bachelor’s degree is an advantage.
- Completed relevant studies within the last two years.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, be creative, and innovate.
- Proven ability to work successfully in diverse geographic and cultural settings.
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Willingness to learn in a rapidly changing context.
- Ability to speak at least one local language in Isiolo in addition to English and Kiswahili.
- Commitment to respect, equity, diversity, and inclusion, including gender equality.
To apply for this job please visit eipn.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.