- The intern(s) will support the Biodiversity, Landscapes and People Unit for outreach and awareness raising for the Global Peatlands Initiative under the direct supervision of the responsible programme officer, the intern(s) will:
- Draft content for and update the GPI and UNEP-peatlands(tab) website(s), online dgroups GPI community of practice and social media outreach channels;
- Draft news articles or blogs on subjects relevant to peatlands restoration, conservation and sustainable management, such as ecosystem services, trans-boundary collaboration,conservation and carbon finance, biodiversity and climate change;
- Assist in the preparation of GPI events, workshops or south south exchanges;
- Assist in the development of awareness raising, outreach or advocacy materials including speech-writing, presentations, and/or videos;
- Assist with research on peatlands best practices in conservation, sustainable management and restoration or relevant topics to inform policy making;
- Assist with preparations for the GPI Steering Committee meetings, and various virtual or face to face meetings of the partnership and attend if held in Nairobi;
- Assist with organizing ad hoc meetings, workshops or teleconferences and prepare meeting agendas, summaries, minutes and follow up communications as required;
- Provide regular communication liaison within the GPI Partnership and with members of the public as required;
- Undertake other tasks as required, and in accordance with the intern’s interests and experience.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Master’s Degree (but within 1 year of graduation) or currently enrolled in a Master’s Programme;
- Background in environmental sciences, environmental policy, biodiversity and conservation, development studies, or related field;
- Demonstrated interest in issues related to ecosystems management, restoration, biodiversity conservation, climate change, or sustainable development and knowledge is required.
- Knowledge of peatlands or wetland ecosystem functioning is desirable.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English & French are working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in French and/or Spanish is desirable.
- NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.