Content Manager Job Description:
We are in search of an imaginative and enterprising manager who can lead the expansion of GiveDirectly’s content collection system and enhance our narrative approach. The core objective is to empower cash transfer recipients to share their own stories. This entails enabling field teams to gather content that amplifies the voices of individuals in poverty, as well as supervising content creation that embodies GiveDirectly’s values.
The ideal candidate is a concise and effective communicator with a proven history of overseeing entire systems management and production roadmaps. A deep passion for compelling storytelling and elevating the perspectives of those often marginalized in the realm of international development is essential.
The collection of distinctive and transparent stories from recipients has played a pivotal role in raising awareness for GiveDirectly’s mission. Initiatives like GDLive, alongside our short films and social media posts, shine a spotlight on the specific lives we aim to assist. Sharing unfiltered accounts directly from recipients encourages sustained support from donors.
- Take the lead in crafting written, photographic, and video content. Assume the role of an “internal journalist,” identifying and showcasing intriguing facets of our impact.
- Undertake the responsibility of gathering information and narrating the stories of each of our programs. In 2022 alone, we executed two dozen programs across 11 countries.
- Manage both freelance contributors and internal teams to produce data visualizations and animated graphics that vividly highlight the outcomes of our efforts.
- Enhance our content collection practices by establishing and upholding benchmarks for both the quantity and quality of stories gathered by field teams.
- Collaborate closely with country directors, partnerships directors, and the donor relations team. Foster alignment and serve their multifaceted priorities.
Innovative Content Approaches
- Spearheaded innovation in distinctive styles and techniques for documenting our work, incorporating novel mediums, technologies, and editorial approaches.
- Identify, nurture, and oversee a roster of local filmmakers and content creators to engage in special projects with us.
- Alignment with GiveDirectly’s values and a tangible demonstration of our key competencies: emotional intelligence, problem-solving, project management, follow-through, and the promotion of inclusivity.
- We warmly welcome applications from individuals with personal or professional experience in the low-income and historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- At least 3 years of experience in a dynamic content-oriented role within communications, consulting, media, or systems management, showcasing adept project management skills.
- Exceptional proficiency in relationship building: you should be enthusiastic about collaborating with GiveDirectly leaders across various countries to garner consensus and support for the significance of this work.
- Strong communication skills and an innate editorial sensibility, encompassing speaking, writing, presenting risk assessment, and negotiation with multiple stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to textual details (spelling, grammar, translation), visuals, facts and figures, as well as video content.
- The role is primarily remote, with occasional domestic travel approximately once a month and international travel once a quarter. The candidate should be open to being located in Uganda, Rwanda, Malawi, or Kenya.
(Not mandatory, but noteworthy if applicable)
- Familiarity with Canva, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Premiere.
- Proficiency in data visualization tools (e.g., Canva, Tableau).
- Experience with various camera technologies.
- Prior background in frequent travel to remote locations and on-site work.
- Expertise in database management.
- Proficiency in Salesforce and HubSpot.
- Professional experience in storytelling or creative writing.
- Fluency in French or primary languages used in GiveDirectly’s operations (Arabic, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Chichewa, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.